Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cake Balls

I have really been getting into trying new recipes lately. I have always liked to cook and bake but now that I have all the kitchen stuff from the wedding and more free time than when I was in graduate school I am enjoying my time in the kitchen.

Last week Joe and I were invited to a house warming party. So I decided it was a great opportunity to try a new recipe. I had seen so many other blogs where people were making cake balls and I knew I wanted to try them. So that is what I decided I would take to the party. Here's the recipe I used:


Cake Balls






1 box of cake mix (any flavor but in this case chocolate)

1 batch of frosting (can frosting can be used but I made my own) recipe below

1 large bag chocolate chips

Chocolate Frosting Recipe: From Betty Crocker Cookbook

3 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup butter, softened

2 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup baking cocoa

3 to 4 tbs milk

Mix powdered sugar and butter on low speed. Stir in vanilla and chocolate. Gradually beat in milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. The more milk you beat in the smoother it will get. If you get it too runny just ass a little more powdered sugar.



On Monday night I baked the cake in a 13x9 pan, let it cool and just covered it until the next evening. On Tuesday I finish the recipe with Joe's help. Joe crumbled the cake into fine crumbs while I made the chocolate frosting. Then in my mixer I combined about 3/4 of the frosting with the cake and mixed thoroughly. Then we rolled them into balls and put them in the freezer for about 45 minutes. I melted chocolate chips in a double broiler. Then we dipped each ball completely in the chocolate, topped with some sprinkles to add some color and set on wax paper to dry.


They were a big hit at the party and Joe really liked them. However Joe and I both agree that next time I am going to use less frosting so that the texture is more cakey and not so much like a truffle. They are definitely something I will make again!!!

2 comments:

  1. I made these for my sister's baby shower they are sooooo good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you get it too runny just ass a little more powdered sugar." LOL! How exactly do you do that?

    ReplyDelete